Cut Hands has some good solutions

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Starving Weirdos - Father Guru [Azul Discográfica]


Yeah I know, it's been too long. But I've got a good excuse, first batch of 3 releases is almost ready! When I got the new and first official Starving Weirdos in the mail though I knew I had to cook up a brand new blogpost/review because every Starving Weirdos so far has been in the great to supergreat area. You just have to know.

Father Guru comes out on the newly found Azul Discográfica label, check out label owner Loy Fankbonner's release from last year for some really good post-musique concrête stuff. I was kind of surprised no other label, perhaps more situated in the drone/noise scene had undertaken this task but to be honest I don't really care. And I bet these weirdos were starving (ahaha) for a proper cd release so they didn't either.

The first thing I noticed when I spun this album for the first time was the clean sound of it. Nothing muffled about this in the way their Sceance at Luffenhultz album was and as much as I like my drones buried underneath filthy dust, opener 'Cypress Groves' instils something equally magickal with it's seemingly endless loops of chiming drones, sounding like a music box turned psycho machine. It's like nothing I've heard before by these guys. 'Trancin'' trumps similar pools of ecstatic bliss this time conjured by heavily treated acoustic guitar. In the distance there are voices wailing like lost children in an underground mall, contemporary fieldrecording hidden behind the veils of drone.

It's nowhere as mystifying as Sceance at Luffenhultz though and that's a bit of a shame. Only the last of three tracks offered on this album reflects that addictive mystery. If you're still clueless, the title says it all: 'Mist-Shrouded World pt. 2'.
There's no telling where exactly these sounds come from, no technical analysis possible, it's all ghosts and fucked up fairy dust from here on. As blissful and even peaceful as the two previous tracks were, this one makes it's point in opposite directions, and succeeds triumphantly I might add.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

links